RAMANA GOPALAN, M.D. M.P.H,
Security Crossroads Medical Center
2 East Rolling Crossroads #158
Catonsville, Baltimore MD 21228
(O) 410.747.5888 (F) 410.747.9648(B) 410.368.0211 (H)410.666.5414
* MBBS, 1979: Gandhi Medical College, Hyderabad 500004, India.
Osmania University, Andhra Pradesh, India. Medicine,Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology.
* Diploma in Public Health, 1986: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry 605006, India. University of Madras, India. Communicable Diseases and Tropical Medicine.
* MD (Community Medicine), 1987: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research (JIPMER) and JIPMER Hospital, Pondicherry 605006, India. University of Madras, India. Primary Health Care and Preventive Medicine.
* Master of Public Health, 1989: The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD. Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Infectious Disease.
Full Maryland Licensure. License number D 0051228, valid through Sep 00. Federal and State DEA/CDS licences
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, 8/97, valid through 2007.
Specialty Degrees and Certifications in Public Health and Preventive Medicine.
Initial Medical licensure: Hyderabad, India, June 6, 1980, Hyderabad State Medical Council, Hyderabad 500001, India, and the Medical Council of India, New Delhi, India, Registration Number 8775.
* Private Practice in Internal Medicine and Primary Care 1/1/97 to the present. Security Crossroads Medical Center, 2 E Rolling Crossroads, #159, Baltimore MD 21228. Full service family practice center. Inpatient medicine at GBMC. Office Procedures, Dermatalogic surgery, WellWoman exam, Womans Health, EPSDT, Healthy Kids, PreEmployment physicals, etc.Credentialled with most insurances.
* Residency in Internal Medicine 11/93 to 12/31/96. The Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21204 .
Outstanding Resident award in the third year of the Progam.
* Senior Research Analyst 8/89 to 12/93. Division of Internal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Pharmacoepidemiology Unit.
I combined my background in Clinical Medicine and Public Health with my expertise in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Research Methodology and Database Management to facilitate a variety of research projects within this Unit. Co-authored several publications, abstracts and poster presentations during this time.
* Chief (Senior) Resident 4/87 - 6/88. Dept. of Preventive & Social Medicine, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, India.
Clinical care, research, graduate and undergraduate teaching and training. Community care in field practice areas attached to this 700 bed hospital. Community based teaching/training/evaluation of Medical Interns was a part of my duties during my tenure as Chief Resident at JIPMER Hospital. Junior Consultant in Public Health and Community Medicine at JIPMER Hospital.
* Post Graduate Resident: 4/84-4/87. Dept. of Preventive & Social Medicine, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER),Pondicherry, India.
PGY-1,2and 3 rotations at JIPMER Hospital and affiliated Institutions and Health Centers. The highly competitive Residency Program lead to the award of the degree of MD in Community Medicine (equivalent to a Board Certification in Preventive and Primary Care Medicine). For my Doctoral Dissertation, I studied the knowledge, attitudes and practices of adult diabetics in Pondicherry State.
* Assistant Clinical Pathologist 5/83-4/84. Dept. of Pathology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, India.
Supervision of JIPMER Hospital Central Laboratory Services; Reporting of clinical chemistry and basic hematology.
* Civil Assistant Surgeon and Medical Officer: 12/82 - 5/83
Rural Health Center, Gundi, Kareemnagar, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Chief Physician at a Primary Care facility catering to 100,000 pop. offering ambulatory, emergency and obstetric care, that served as a referral node for a network of subcenters manned by nurse-midwifes and physician aides. Supervised and planned all operations for health administration at the level of a community development block.
* Medical Officer: 2/81-4/82. Comprehensive Rural Health Project, Jamkhed, Maharashtra, India.
This primary care hospital has served as a global model for community based health care. My supervisors, Drs. Raj and Mabelle Arole (Adjunct Faculty, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore MD, USA) were recipients of the Magasasay International Award for work in rural health care. In addition to clinical and surgical skills, I gained experience in supervising paramedical personnel, and administration of health facilities.
* Medical Officer: 6/80 - 2/81 The Mary C. Wall Hospital, Deverkonda, Nalgonda District, Andhra Pradesh, India.
A rural hospital with 24 hour obstetric and emergency services.
* Rotating Internship: 3/79-5/80. Gandhi Hospital, Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Rotations in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology and subspecialties lead to full licensure for the practice of Medicine and Surgery.
Gopalan R ; Santora P ; Stokes EJ ; Moore RD ; Levine DM :
Evaluation of a model curriculum on substance abuse at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Academic Medicine 1992 Apr;67(4):260-6
Moore RD ; Steinberg EP ; Powe NR ; Brinker JA ; Fishman EK; Graziano S ; Gopalan R
Nephrotoxicity of high-osmolality versus low-osmolality contrast media: randomized clinical trial. Radiology 1992 Mar;182(3):649-55
Steinberg EP; Moore RD; Powe NR; Gopalan R; Davidoff AJ; Litt M; Graziano S; Brinker JA:
Safety and cost effectiveness of high-osmolality as compared with low-osmolality contrast material in patients undergoing cardiac angiography. New England Journal of Medicine 1992 Feb 13;326(7):425-30 Comment in: N Engl J Med 1992 Feb 13;326(7):482-4
Brinker JA; Steinberg EP; Moore RD; Powe NR; Fishman EK; Graziano S; Gopalan R:
Effects of intracoronary contrast in the denervated human heart. Invest Radiol 1991 Nov;264 Supl 1:S118-9; Discussion S125-8
Steinberg EP; Moore RD; Brinker JA; Fishman EK; Powe NR; Graziano S; Gopalan R:
Nephrotoxicity of high-osmolality versus low-osmolality contrast media: Invest Radiol 1991 Nov;264 Supl 1:S86; Discussion S88-91
Easterbrook PJ ; Berlin JA ; Gopalan R ; Matthews DR:
Publication bias in clinical research. Lancet 1991 Apr 13;337(8746):867-72
Comment in: Lancet 1991 May 4;337(8749):1102.
Comment in: Lancet 1991 Jun 8;337(8754):1419
Gopalan R; Srinivasa DK; Dasgupta B:
Perceptions and Practices of Diabetics in Pondicherry.
Indian J Med Res 1991 Feb;94:30-5
Srinivasa DK; Gopalan R:
Primary Health Care for Urban Areas and Special Groups - need for an alternative model. Proceedings of the National Conference on Primary Health Care. PC Bhatla (Ed.); National Institute of Primary Health Care, New Delhi, 1987.
Raghaviah M; Bansal RD; Srinivasa DK; Balasudarssanane S; Gopalan R:
Absenteeism among Leprosy patients in rural Tamil Nadu.
Indian Journal of Leprosy 1987 Jul-Sep;9:3
Pulsifer MB; Gopalan R; Hoon AH Jr; Palmer FB; Capute AJ:
The accuracy of maternal estimates of developmental age.
American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, Annual Meeting, Baltimore, May 4-7, 1992.
Nominated for the Richmond Cerebral Palsy Center Award 1993.
Hoon AH; Pulsifer MB; Gopalan R; Palmer FB; Capone GT; Capute AJ:
The CAT/CLAMS: A valid instrument for infant assessment.
American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, Annual Meeting, Baltimore, May 4-7, 1992.
Hoon AH; Taylor GA; Allen MC; Hudak ML; Gittelsohn A; Gopalan R.
Prophylactic surfactant, IVH and PVL in infants less than 1000 grams.
Svikis DS; McCaul ME; Stokes EJ; Anderson J; Rocco LE; Boney TY; Gopalan R:
Prevalence and detection of drug and alcohol use in a gynecology clinic. CPDD, California, May 92.
* Evaluation of an Alcohol Curriculum for Medical Students
Presented at the AMERSA National Conference, Rockville, MD; Nov. 1990
Published in Substance Abuse, August 1991, as a part of the proceedings of this conference.
* The Epidemiology and Control of AIDS in India
Presented at a symposium sponsored by the Indian Association of Dermatologists and Venereologists, Pondicherry, India.
* Perceptions and Practices of Diabetics in Pondicherry
* A Computer Simulation Model for studying Queuing problems
Presented at the XVII Annual Conference of the Indian Association of Social and Preventive Medicine, Cuttack, India, Nov 1987.
* Approaches to Recruitment of Community Participation for Combating Alcohol and Drug Abuse in India.
Presented at the National Workshop on Control of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Nov 1987
* Zero Based Budgeting for Health Services.
Presented at the Workshop on Management for Medical College Teachers held at JIPMER, Pondicherry, January 1987.
* Seasonal factors in Absenteeism in Leprosy
Presented at the JIPMER Scientific Society, June 1986.
CONSULTANCIES & COMMITTEES
New American Health, 200 Hospital Dr. Glen Burnie, MD 21061
Participant in the montly UR/QA meetings of this HMO
The Greater Baltimore Medical Center, 6701 N. Charles St, Towson MD 21204
Participated in their monthly ID review committee till 12/96
Division of Developmental Pediatrics, The Kennedy Krieger Institute, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD. (1991-1994) Consultant to the Division on research programs on cognitive and developmental disabilities in children.
Division of Internal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore MD. (1990-91) Served on the Treatment Effects Monitoring Committee of a blinded clinical trial of two contrast media.
JIPMER Hospital, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Training, Pondicherry, India.(1984-88)
Package curricula for undergraduate medical students in Childhood Diarrheas and Respiratory Infections and Preventive Medicine. Depts. of Pediatrics and Preventive and Social Medicine.
Management Training for Middle Level Managers for the Expanded Program on Immunization (UNCF).
Management Methods for Medical Teachers (Central University of Pondicherry).
Hemerijxck Rural Health Center and the Raoul Follereau Foundation of India, Pondicherry, India (1984-88) Consultant in Leprosy control, rehabilitation and training activities.
IDL Rural Development Trust, Sanathnagar, Hyderabad, India. (1983) I developed a plan for an Integrated Health program for a rural population of 10,000.
Dept. of Community Medicine, Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal, Andhra Pradesh, India. (1983) Indian Council of Medical Research Project on Infant Feeding and Weaning Practices Among Tribal Women, under Dr.Srihari Rao, Principal Investigator, Dept. of Community Medicine, KMC, Warangal, Andhra Pradesh, India.
SPECIAL SKILLS and ADDITIONAL TRAINING
* Biomedical and Social Science Research. Computer applications, Epidemiologic and Statistical analytic models pertinent to infectious and chronic disease research, health technology assessment, clinical trials, psychometry. Research and survey methodology, including questionnaire and database design, data validation and management protocols. Health economics.
* Public health intervention : Program design, planning, implementation, evaluation, monitoring, supervision of a variety of interventions ranging from developing methods for monitoring interventions for drug abusing mothers or developmentally delayed children in inner city populations in the US, to outbreak investigation and immunization campaigns in India. I have been extensively involved in health systems for primary care in urban and rural settings.
* Teaching, curriculum development and evaluation: I have 3 years of certified teaching experience at the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Training, Pondicherry, India. At the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, I participated in the evaluation of a curriculum for medical students on alcohol abuse.
Capsule Course in Educational Technology for Medical Teachers, JIPMER Hospital, Pondicherry, India. (1987)
* The Johns Hopkins Alumni Association, JHU, Baltimore MD
* Indian Association of Social and Preventive Medicine
(Joint Secretary, Pondicherry Chapter, 2 years)
* Indian Medical Association.
* JIPMER Alumni Association, JIPMER, Pondicherry, India
* Member, Board of Governors, Raoul Follereau Foundation in India, Pondicherry, 1986-88
HONORS & AWARDS
* Outstanding Resident, 1996, Department of Internal Medicine, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, MD 21204
* Best Scientific Poster, Associates Annual Meeting, 1996, American College of Physicians, Maryland Chapter.
* Poster nominated for Richmond Cerebral Palsy Award, 1993
* Best Paper Award, 1987, JIPMER Scientific Society.
* Deans Special Award for Cost Containment, JIPMER, 1987.
* President, JIPMER Resident Doctors Association, 2 terms
Return to Table of Contents